Page 4 - Stained Glass Book Hburg
P. 4
Stained Glass Windows in the Churches of Harrisonburg

Emmanuel Episcopal Church

660 South Main Street.

The modern church in Harrisonburg dates from 1852, although the history of the Episcopal
Church in this part of the Valley goes back to 1747. For many years Episcopalians occupied a church on
the corner of South Main and Bruce Streets. The cornerstone of the present structure was laid in 1959.
Milton L. Grigg, architect of Charlottesville, Virginia, designed the church along the lines of an English
Parish Church.

The windows of this church are painted glass with quite a number of clear glass panes. A
rectangular format is used with a main scene in each window and smaller vignettes around it. The
windows show selected episodes in the history of the Church of England and in Virginia and were
executed by the Willet Glass Company of Philadelphia to specifications of a local committee under the
leadership of the Right Rev. Francis B. Rhein. The narrative sequence begins with the window on the
north side of the church nearest the pulpit and continues from front to rear along the north side and from
the rear forward along the south side.

Page 3
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9