Page 17 - UB Church and Shen Univ
P. 17
Volume 6 Relation of U.B/EUB Virginia Conferences to Shenandoah University Dec. 26, 2013

secure Prof. W. J. Zuck for a salary of $560. Mrs. Zuck was employed as Lady Principal and teacher in
the Department of Music. Her salary was to be “whatever she could make in the Music Department”
minus $60 to be paid to the Board for the rent of rooms and instruments. Miss Minnie Niswander was
contacted and hired to teach in the Primary Department, but she failed to appear at the beginning of the
year and was replaced by Rev. C. M. Hott, who was later replaced by Mrs. Virginia Pittman at a salary
of $17 a month. The total number of students in 1880-81 was 45. Prof. Fries was elected to the Board
of Directors to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Rev. C. M. Hott. Prof. Fries was also
elected to serve as Secretary of the Board. He held this position until the Board of Directors was
dissolved in 1887.

In 1882 Prof. and Mrs. Zuck went to Lebanon Valley College to teach, and Prof. Fries returned
to his former position. He was granted a salary of $500 plus all traveling and correspondence expenses.
The faculty for 1882-83 was increased by three members in order to provide adequate facilities for the
larger number of students. Rev. G. P. Hott was elected teacher in the Intermediate Department; Miss
Emily Strayer in the Music Department; Mrs. Carrie Hott in the Primary Department; and Mr. J. R.
Huffman to be instructor in Penmanship and to serve as janitor. Mr. D. Eugene Shumaker taught
arithmetic and geography. L. R. Keiffer agreed to pay $1.50 person to the Board for the privilege of
operating the Boarding House for the lady students. The report by Prof. Fries to the Board of Directors
at the end of the Fall Term described the prosperity of the School in 188217:

The Fall term opened September 5th, 1882, with an enrollment of 21 students, which number
was increased during the term to 36. Of these, 15 pursued Classical studies regularly, 16
Intermediate studies, and 5 Music only. The class in Instrumental Music reached the number
of 13 for a short time. There were 16 classes taught regularly in the Literary Department,
besides the vocal music class and the class in Ornamental Penmanship, each of which was a
limited source of revenue. The books furnished to the School amounted to about $140 or $150.
The health of the students and teachers has been good; no one of the teachers being detained
from work, except Mr. J. H. Huffman for a short time—also but few excuses were presented by
students reasoned by ill health. No serious discord has at any time existed in the School, and
at present all is harmonious.

Among other business transacted by the Board, a resolution to purchase a set of croquet for $1.25
was accepted. The Seminary re-insured its building for 5 years at a total cost of $2.50.

In July 1883 the Board instructed the Secretary to inform the President of the Joint Stock
Company that the Board of Directors would not run the School the following year. At an earlier
meeting, the Board had appointed a committee consisting of E. Ruebush and J. W. Miller to receive
propositions to rent the School. The Virginia Conference of the Brethren in Christ had, in March,
instructed a Board of Trustees to take control of the School if possible,18 and this action by the Board of
Directors was probably taken to make way for such a proposal.

Virginia Conference, 1875-83. In the year that Shenandoah Seminary opened its doors, one of
its founders, Rev. A. P. Funkhouser, was ordained as a minister in the Virginia Conference of the United

17 The Minutes of the Board of Directors of the Joint Stock Company of Shenandoah Seminary, p. 27 (hereafter cited as
Minutes of the Board of Directors).

18 See the Report of the Committee on Education from pp. 18-19 of the 1883 Minutes in Chapter III, below. It is important
to note that A. P. Funkhouser was the author of that report and its recommendations, one of which was: “That we
authorize the Board of Trustees to take charge of Shenandoah Seminary, provided a majority of the shares of the stock of
said institution shall be proffered the Board, and other inducements offered sufficient in the minds of the Board to
warrant the undertaking.”

Miller, et al., on History of S.C., 1875-1950 7
   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22