Page 24 - UB Church and Shen Univ
P. 24
Volume 6 Relation of U.B/EUB Virginia Conferences to Shenandoah University Dec. 26, 2013

The first graduate of the School was Charles H. Tatum, who had spent almost 6 years in the
School. He was graduated June 16, 1887, with the Bachelor of Science Degree. There were no
graduates in 1888 but two in 1889 and six in 1890 as follows: C. W. Canan (B.S.), and Lucy G.
Hendrick (M.A.) in 1889; and in 1890 Charles A. Funkhouser (B.S.), Edward G. Spessard (B.S.),
Josiah F. Snyder (B.S.), Florence A. Fries (Mrs. Claire; M.A.), H. Reca O’Roark (M.A.), and H. W.
Bayer (B.E.). During these years, there were many others who had received diplomas for completing
their courses, but only these nine students had earned degrees.

In August 1887 the Institute experimented in the field of journalism by having the faculty of the
School publish The People’s Educational Quarterly, devoted to educational literature and music. The
Quarterly was published in August, December, March, and June—the June issue contained the material
usually found in the Annual Catalog concerning the outline of courses, expenses, etc. The June issue of
the first year contained 106 pages of interesting stories, church news, and articles pertaining to
Shenandoah Institute. In 1890 this publication was discontinued, and The People’s Educational
Monthly took its place (which continued until 1895, after which annual catalogues of 15-20 pages were
distributed separately in large numbers within the Conference and beyond). This publication was issued
every month except July and August by the Faculty of Shenandoah Institute and three editors selected by
the literary societies. This paper was responsible for much of the prosperity and early growth of the
Institute. Other papers carried extensive advertising of the School and The Music Million, a paper
published in Dayton, always had a column edited by the faculty members of the Institute. The most
outstanding type of advertising, however, was secured by the faculty members who taught in the various
musical singing schools, conventions, and Normal Schools. The Normal Schools were held during the
summer months, and Prof. Ruebush and his assistants were in great demand to conduct these schools,
especially in the Southern States. The Normal Schools would last 2 weeks or more, and in this way the
professors would cover many states in one summer. Many music students attending these Normal
Schools, who wanted to continue their study, were advised and instructed to come to Shenandoah
Institute. In addition to the Music Normals, there were regular Teacher’s Normals held in the
summertime, where teachers could take extra courses. A 4-week Normal was held in May at
Shenandoah Institute. Here teachers learned “all that public school teachers were required to know.”

The Board of Trustees reported in 1889 that the buildings were too small to accommodate all of
the students in attendance. From 25 to 30 students had to find accommodations for rooms and boarding
outside the Institute. It was recommended that the Dining Hall be enlarged. A small frame building was
erected and used as a kitchen, thus creating more room in the Dining Hall—this building cost
approximately $500 to construct. Total receipts for 1889-90 amounted to $2,418.67, enough to pay for
the new kitchen.

In 1890 the enrollment was 126 and 21 students were graduated. The first of several efforts to
raise $2,000 to pay off the indebtedness of the Institute was then launched. The Annual Conference
accepted the recommendation, but the money was never raised. The Board members themselves
pledged $500, on condition that the full $2,000 was raised. At this time a proposition from the
Ciceronian Literary Society of the School was accepted—the proposition was that when the Ciceronian
Society had raised $1,000 the Board would proceed to erect a building to cost not less than $2,500, in
which a hall would be set apart for the exclusive use of the Society.

A course in Art was offered in 1892 by Miss Carrie M. Dyche, a graduate of the previous year.
The course included instruction in Free-Hand Drawing, Perspective, Crayon, Oil, and Pastel. The
enrollment that year was encouraging, with 138 full-time students. The rooms in the dormitory were

Miller, et al., on History of S.C., 1875-1950 14
   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29