Page 20 - United Brethren Preachers
P. 20
Volume 9 Preachers of U.B. and EUB Virginia Conferences December 26, 2013

May 7, 1888; and Abraham L. Veach and Elizabeth Keplinger Nov. 14, 1888—all in Grant County, W.Va. In
1907 a newspaper noted that “Rev. W. D. Barger and A. R. Nihiser, both of Hagerstown, Md., are interested in
securing an option on about 10,000 acres of coal land near Mathias.”15 Funkhouser 1921, p. 272-273, 289,

305; Lycoming 2013]

BARNHART: David Barnhart (b. Oct. 24, 1840 near Middleburg, Pa.; d. Jan. 17, 1904, a Bendersville, Pa.)
became a member of Va. Conf. in 1874 and ordained there in 1879. In 1879 he reported as a local preacher
that he had preached 21 sermons, assisted in 19 other meetings, and conducted 14 pastoral visits. He
transferred to Pa. Conf. in 1884 but taught school until becoming an itinerant, then served Perry Circuit (Oct.
1895 to 1898), New Bloomfield (1898-99), and Bendersville, 1899-03 [Funkhouser 1921, p. 127, 131, 272,
274, 276-279, 281-283; Glovier 1965, p. 89; Lycoming 2103]. His obituary can be found in [Pa. Conf.
Journal, 1904, p. 70].

BATEMAN: Earl Clayton Bateman, Sr., received his quarterly license to
preach the gospel in 1927 and received his conference license in 1929 from
Allegheny Conference. He served Altoona Whenwood, 1929-31; Funville,
1931 to May 1933; and Riverton in Va. Conf., 1936-39. He transferred to
Va. Conf. in 1936, along with C. Willard Fetter and John R. Sawyer. He
attended Shenandoah Collegiate Institute and School of Music (Class of
1929). He came from the Allegheny Conference and was appointed to the
Riverton Charge by Va. Conf. on Oct. 27, 1935. He married Ruby Ann See
of Roanoke, Virginia in 1930, who lived from Aug. 20, 1904, to Jan. 15,
1957. The birth of Caroline Rebecca Bateman was celebrated by the
Conference Superintendent before the Annual Conference of 1941. He was received into Va. Conf.
membership in 1937. He had served charges in the Allegheny Conference for 6 years prior to his coming to
Va. Conf. He served Riverton, 1935-39; Blairton-Greensburg, 1939-43; was a public-school teacher in
Berkeley Springs, 1943-49; and served Berkeley Springs, 1949-1957 in Va. Conf. Following his last year at
Berkeley Springs Charge and the death of his wife, he went to Germany where he began teaching in
Baumholder and Augsburg American School U.S. Forces. He returned in 1969 and taught in the public schools
of Washington, D.C., 1969-71, and then retired. In 1949 the Conference Superintendent thanked Rev.
Bateman before the Conference for taking up the Berkeley Springs Charge while teaching full time at
Hedgesville High School, Hedgesville, W.Va. Again, in 1952, the Superintendent reported that he “and has
done most commendable work along with his duties as teacher in the Hedgesville High School.” Also, in 1952,
Rev. Bateman oversaw the building of a new parsonage for Berkeley Springs Circuit. The Superintendent
reported it to be “Located on Route 522, a mile south of Berkeley Springs. Cost, $13,612.23. Mr. E. B.
Ruppenthal, Sr., Chairman of the Building Committee. Mr. Theodore S. Michael, contractor and builder. This
is a modern eight-room house with all conveniences: bathroom upstairs, lavatory downstairs, full basement
with electric hot water heater, garage in basement, atomic coal furnace, modern kitchen with double sink, and
fireplace in living room. Rev. Earl C. Bateman, Pastor. Dedicated June 1st by Conference Superintendent,
assisted by the Pastor and by Dr. Carl W. Hiser, Rev. E. R. Kesecker, and Rev. Paul J. Slonaker. Rev.
Bateman, Mr. Ruppenthal, and Mr. Michael and the people of the Berkeley Springs Charge deserve much for
this commodious structure for their pastor.”16 In 1953 Rev. Bateman was recommended by the Conference

Superintendent for ordination. In Sep. 1954 the Superintendent report that Mrs. Bateman had “been under
the care of a doctor much of the time this summer” and that Rev. Bateman “was in War Memorial Hospital in
Berkeley Springs during the month of February.” In Sep. 1955, the Superintendent report that “Mrs. Earl C.
Bateman was hospitalized in the National Institutes of Health at Bethesda, Md., from Feb. 10th to Apr. 30th.
Rev. Bateman was in the hospital from June 22nd to July 2nd.” In 1957 the Superintendent reported the
marriage of Charles T. Martindale and Virginia Ann Bateman on Saturday, Aug. 17th, in First Church, Berkeley
Springs, W.Va. At the same time, the Superintendent reported the sad news: Mrs. Earl C. (Ruby) Bateman
died in War Memorial Hospital in Berkeley Springs, W.Va., on Tuesday, Jan. 15th, at 5:40 a.m. Funeral
services were held in First Church, Berkeley Springs, on Thursday, Jan. 17th, at 8:00 p.m., with the Pastor,
the Rev. Paul J. Slonaker, in charge; and Dr. E. E. Miller, who performed the marriage ceremony for Rev. and
Mrs. Bateman, bringing the message. A memorial service was held in Roanoke First Church with the Pastor,
Dr. J. Paul Gruver, officiating and the Conference Superintendent bringing the message. Interment was in the
Beechwood Cemetery in Salem, Va., beside the bodies of her parents. She was an only child.” Rev. Bateman
gave up his teaching and pastor ministry to work for the Armed Services as a teacher in Germany. The
Conference then listed Rev. Bateman as a Chaplain. His memoir, as well as Ruby’s, is provided in Section

15 Daily Bulletin of the Manufacturer’s Record, Baltimore, Md., Vol. XVIII, No. 137 (December 10, 1907), p. 1.

16 The Editor made use of this parsonage for 4 years when he was Pastor of Alpine Charge, a new name for the same
circuit.

Biographical Sketches 8
   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25