Page 14 - History of Rockingham Co
P. 14
A HISTORY OF

—1784 First court house for Rockingham completed.
— —1787 December Act of Assembly passed creating Pendleton

County.

1789—October 29—Rockingham Union Lodge, No. 27, A. F.
& A. M., chartered.

— —1791 December Act of Assembly passed establishing Kee-

zletown.

—1794 Bishop Asbury organizes Methodist school in Harrison-

burg.

—1801 McGaheysville named for Tobias Randolph McGahey.
— —1802 January 14 Port Republic established by Act of As-

sembly.

—1804 January 5—New Haven established by Act of As-

sembly.

1805— Robert Gray locates at Harrisonburg.

— —1807 November 16 Henry Tutwiler, first M. A. of Univer-

sity of Virginia, born in Harrisonburg.

— —1807 December Dr. Peachey Harrison writes of Rocking-

ham for Philadelphia Medical Museum.

—1809 George Rockingham Gilmer of Georgia visits Rocking-

ham.

—1809 Bishop Newcomer (U. B. ) confers with Bishop Asbury

(M. E. ) at Harrisonburg.

—1811 February 20—Dr. Asher Waterman sells 35,000 acres

of West Rockingham land for $13, 125.

—1813 Daniel Bryan publishes the "Mountain Muse."
—1816 Rockingham Methodists prepare memorial against

slavery.

—1818 Brown's "Circular" pubhshed.

1818—Harrison's Cave discovered.

1820 (?)— Garber's Church built.

1822—Trissel's Church built.

1S22— Rockingham Register founded by Lawrence Wartmann.

— —1824 January 26 Timothy Funk born at Mountain Valley.

1825—Mt. Crawford established by Act of Assembly.

— —1826 February 18 Act of Assembly passed chartering Rock-

ingham Academy.

—10—
   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19