Page 17 - History of Rockingham Co
P. 17
ROCKINGHAM COUNTY

— —1876 May Catholic church in Harrisonburg consecrated.

1876— Monument to soldiers erected in Woodbine Cemetery by

Ladies' Memorial Association.

— —1877 November Destructive floods.
—1878 Ruebush-Kieffer printing house moved to Dayton.
—1879 June— Dunker Annual Meeting at Broadway.
— —1879 August-September Sidney Lanier at Rockingham

Springs.

—1879 New Market Endless Caverns discovered.
—1880 Bridgewater College started at Spring Creek.
— —1880 March Broadway established by Act of Assembly.
— —1881 April 18 First through trains from Hagerstown to

Waynesboro on Norfolk & Western Railway.

— —1881 September A. C. Kimler begins teaching at McGah-

eysville.

1881—A. S. Kieffer publishes "Hours of Fancy."

—1885 Lake's Atlas of Rockingham County published.

1885— G. F. Compton begins history of Rockingham in the

Register.

—1887 Shenandoah Normal College located at Harrisonburg.
—1889 Dunker Annual Meeting at Harrisonburg.
— —1892 February Shendun established by Act of Assembly.

1892—March 1—Old Folks' Home at Timberville opened.

—1892 Harrisonburg synagogue dedicated.
—1892 Emma Lyon Bryan publishes "A Romance of the

Valley."

—1893 Massanutta Cave, near Keezletown, discovered.
—1894 February—Timberville established by Act of Assembly.
— —1895 July 31 Chesapeake & Western Railway completed to

Dayton.

— —1895 September 13 C. & W. Railway completed to Bridge-

water.

—1897 Fourth Court House erected.
—1897 Cross Keys Home Mutual Fire Insurance Company or-

ganized.

—1898 New water system for Harrisonburg put in operation.
—1898 Harrisonburg Daily News established.

—13—
   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22