Page 20 - Armentrout Family History
P. 20
ARMENTROUT FAMILY HISTORY

Strait of the Luth. Ch. and John Brown of the Ref. Ch. These two ministers preached three times and gave fitting
discourses."

"Mar. 18, 1804. This congregation decided today that such persons as have illegitimate children and wish the
same bapt. or admitted to the Holy Communion, must do pennance first, but not openly in the presence of the
whole congregation but before the preachers and the elders."

"May 26, 1804. Anna Maria Doeshler and Anna Maria Yeiser presented themselves to the preachers Christian
Strait and John Brown, also to the elders on account of certain irregularities of a moral nature and in accordance
with the ch. law were pronounced worthy to be admitted to the Holy Supper."

"With the special object of forestalling objectionable consequences in the future, it is noted that this new ch.
has been built by the Luth. and Ref. congregations and is to be used only (as has been the custom in this com-
munity heretofore) for Union services of the same, excluding all other denominations and parties."

"8 August 1813. This congregation having assembled to consider changes and improvements of the old ch.
articles and the addition of new articles, be it resolved:

1st. Those persons who have their homes in this community and have had the opportunity but have not con-
tributed to the ch. and desire that they themselves or their own shall be buried in the cem. shall pay $2.00 for
the benefit of the ch. with the exception of the following who shall be excluded:

1. Poor and paupers
2. Strangers and travelers
3. New members who have arrived in this community recently from other places and after having been

in the community for six months and are unwilling to help the ch. in accordance with the rules.
2nd. Be it resolved that the conditions governing the union of the Luth. and Ref. congregations in this com-
munity remain as they were agreed upon at the first organization and, therefore, in the future the Luth. and
Ref. shall have equal rights and neither one of them shall have more right than the other, and all property, in-
cluding the ch. the cem. and the ch. land shall be in common.

3rd. Be it resolved that these congregations hold their services under the rules of the High German Ministerium
or Synod and that no preacher of any other Synod who has not served under those same rules shall be allowed
to serve this church as a member or candidate. But should it happen in the future that after proper search no
preacher of the Ministerium can be obtained and that a preacher offers himself either Luth. or Ref. to serve in
this ch., the same may be elected by the Plurality of votes of the members as preacher in this ch. provided such
man can be of good Faith, Life and Character.

4th. Be it resolved, that such preacher or teacher being in the service of this ch. must live up to his position
with his whole conduct and teaching and in case he should fail, he must be guided by the good counsel and ad-
monition of the trustees and elders; but should these admonitions fail once and a second time and he either
through his teachings or through his conduct give offense, his shortcomings shall be placed before the Minis-
terium.

5th. Be it resolved, that the ch. board consist of six persons in the future, namely one of each side as trustee
and two from each side as elders.

6th. Be it resolved, that none shall be eligible to hold the office of elder or trustee, who has not been bapt.,
confirmed and admitted to Holy Communion or who does not believe in one or the other of the fundamental
articles of the Christian Religion or who has led a bad life."

6. ST. PHILLIPS CHURCH

In 1787 under the leadership of Peter Ermentraudt, son of Johan Phillip, the Ermentraudt Families who lived several miles
north of present-day Keezletown, Va., and 10 to 12 miles from the Pk. Mtn. Ch., formed a congregation and started building
a new ch. on the old mtn. road about 4 miles north of present-day Keezletown. This was a log structure to be known locally
as St Phillips, Ermentrauts or the Old Dutch Ch. The old rec. of this ch. were translated from German into English in 1934
by Rev AS Leiby, pastor of St Peters Ref. Ch. of Easton, Penna. Mr PC Kaylor's preface to this translation follows:

"It appears that the membership of this ch. prior to the year 1800 attended the old Pk. Mtn. Ch. at McGaheys-
ville, but the distance from this section to McGaheysville was from 5 to 7 miles by way of the bridle path across
the mtn. and from (there about) 10 to 12 miles by the road leading around the end of Pk. Mtn. About the year
1787 steps were taken to erect a house of worship; the Ermentraudt Families of the neighborhood took active
part in its construction. Accordingly logs were hewn and the work of building begun. When the walls had reached
a height of 10 or 12 feet, a log that was being placed in position slipped and fell, killing young George Ermen-
traudt instantly. He and his father (Johan Georg) had taken an active interest in the enterprise, but this tragedy
stopped the work and nothing more was done until the year 1806, when the ch. was completed. The log that
caused the tragedy was placed in the wall to the rear of the pulpit and was marked by a number of crosses.

"When the ch. was torn down some years ago, to be replaced by a more modern structure (Trinity, located on
the old Keezletown Road) the logs were used in building a barn on the farm of the late Madison Wise, now known
as "Wiseland" and owned by Ollie Wise Miller and her husband G Luther Miller. The bridle path referred to above

0-4
   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25